Jun 22, 2013

Deep Thoughts

Some of the mnemonics from code writing work in coaching also. For example KIS = Keep it simple. Extremely good thing to always keep in mind. On the other hand, I think DRY = Don't repeat yourself doesn't work that well. Many times (well, always) repetition is the key to learning.

That's why I sometimes find it odd that there are so many different frameworks that basically teach you the same things you usually learn at the playground. Be polite. Say you are sorry. Play nice with others. Everything starts with the way of being with others.

Since we usually forget many of these important lessons, I'm going to mention here one framework that I've been especially happy with. It's called Deep Leadership and at least a couple of years ago Finnish army was using it in the military leadership training.

It's based on four cornerstones:

  • Building trust
  • Inspirational way of motivating
  • Intellectual stimulation
  • Meeting people 1 on 1
(I remember these only in Finnish so they could probably be translated in a better way.)

And although people generally seem to think that leadership skills taught in the army cannot be applied directly in working life, I'm a strong believer in this framework. And I think it's well in line with agile values and how I personally see that expert organizations should be lead.

The framework also includes extensive feedback from three directions: superiors, peers and subordinates. And you can never have too much feedback, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment