Jun 17, 2013

Starting the Journey

This blog will paint an image of a small to middle size software company on a journey from chaos to enlightenment. Inspired heavily by the books of Henrik Kniberg. Also, it will be my personal war story as I navigate through the stormy waters of change resistance and try to coach the organization to maximize the added customer value.

Maybe I'll first begin by telling a bit about myself. I have always liked mathematics. And for my whole adult life, I think I have enjoyed challenges. Either physical or mental. Due to my love of mathematics and also in pursuit of challenges, I went to study Engineering Physics and Mathematics. It was great! The guys who tell you that studying is the best time of your life, well... they aren't lying.

After university I started getting paid for solving problems. I did it via programming. My days were filled with adding more features to a legacy product, maintaining the codebase, fixing bugs, etc. I really liked it. But it didn't feel adequate. Something was missing.

During my studies I wasn't really interested in participating student association activities or other networking stuff. I was actually thinking that was more aimed for people studying industrial management and other business stuff. I didn't care about that kind of easy stuff. I was looking for REAL problems. I was young and stupid. (Nowadays not that young anymore.)

Things changed after I started my work career. I have always felt very strongly about people being treated fairly and equally. No-one should be judged by their looks or gender. If they act like idiots, then that's a different case.

Something clicked when Scrum was introduced in company. I was selected as the Scrum Master of my distributed development team. It was awesome! Then at the latest I realised that software problems are not where I get my kicks anymore. It's the people problems. Those are orders of magnitude harder than dealing with (in most cases) predictably computers. But as a Scrum Master I was removing impediments that were slowing my team down. And helping the team to realize how much power there is in a team when everyone is pulling the same rope!

That's how I started my agile journey. Next time I'll tell what happened then.
Take it to the team.


No comments:

Post a Comment