Sep 5, 2013

Children are Excellent Teachers

I recently had a discussion with my son's kindergarten teacher and she told me how my son's group has been teaming up very nicely. They play together and everyone has found their place. Some are carrying sticks, some build things from those while some of the others are more involved with the planning. When, inevitably, there's conflict, they say they are sorry and the situations resolve quickly. And when they do sports, everyone is rooting for the others like crazy!


If preschool children can do this, why is it so hard for us grownups?

When the organization is still going through the agile transformation, it's probably not uncommon that people only think about their own tasks. "I have done my part. It's not my fault if the others don't keep up." But in an cross-functional Agile team you are not merely accountable for your tasks. There are no "your tasks". The team has goals and the team members are ALL equally responsible for the results.

This will probably become clearer over time. But in a bigger organization, I'd like to reach the next level. I see an analogy between one team and a Sprint and between several teams and a Release. My personal vision of a larger organization is such that teams working on the same product pull one rope. If one team is struggling and the others have finished their commitments, they will help. No team is left behind! And maybe in a larger organization this would scale up still one level, but I have no first hand experience about that.

Great things are achieved through doing things together!


No comments:

Post a Comment