Jan 28, 2016

Importance of Environment in an Agile Transformation

I attended today a SAFe 4.0 event arranged by a Finnish training company called Nitor Delta. As a guest speaker they Michael Stump from the Scaled Agile Inc. The event was also a good meeting place for SAFe practitioners. I must say that I saw quite a few familiar faces. And met many new people who I can hopefully later exchange experiences with.

After writing a case study, my company has drawn a lot of attention from other (potential) SAFe adopters. I have a bit mixed feelings about it. Of course I'm happy and proud about the attention, but being a Finn, it's difficult to handle the situation. And then again, since I see all the daily difficulties we deal with, I sometimes feel tempted to say "..but we still face these difficulties". But maybe there's no need. I guess everyone understands that things are in reality much more complex than in theory.

From http://finnishnightmares.blogspot.fi

But from the conversations that I participated after Michael had finished his presentation I learned that environment matters a great deal in SAFe/Agile adoptions and transformations. First I was somewhat against the idea of training everyone at the beginning of the adoption process, but maybe my first impression fails me there. In some cases I think even training is not enough, but some people should get their brains totally rewired. I mean, if you have done something in the same way for decades (or even years), it could be overwhelming to modify your daily routines.

If I think about possible factors why the transformation was successful in our case, I could easily list at least a few. There was a big management support. Previous and current heads of R&D were supportive for the idea and also the Chief Quality Officer. I think also the CEO saw potential in the new practices.


We had already been trained in Scrum when the big organizational change was initiated. All developers had received training in Scrum essentials and every Scrum Master and Product Owner was certified. Scrum Master and tester Communities of Practice were also formed right at the start. So good practices had distribution channels.

Release Process was established even though at first we didn't plan the releases. But the decision to shorten the release cycle was made. Release Manager, a person who would facilitate the release planning and execution was also appointed right away.

Then I think a big deal of the change can be credited to a couple of champions. People who were in key roles (RTE, Owner of Software Development Process, Chief Portfolio Officer, line management of R&D) made big contributions. Having a vision of how things could be done was important, but just as important was the support from these champions. And finally the support and engagement of employees. Everyone wasn't eager to embrace the change at first, but enough many were.


During the conversations with other companies I have realized that there are other, more subtle things that supported the transformation. Some that I had never even thought of since they are rooted so deep in the culture and operations. The organization is not flat, but there are exceptionally good possibilities to access information, suggest new ideas and to participate in the decision making. Also the developers are treated as experts. And there's one company value that I hold in the highest respect: Enjoy Working Together.

In the development money is not an issue. I mean, there's no unlimited budget, but people in development get to fully concentrate on the contents. If something is considered worth doing and there's clear potential, it will be done. There's no sharing of the blanket between different business units. (I have never needed to worry about CapEx or OpEx.)

As a conclusion, I think there were quite a few things that made the transformation possible. Some are such that people living inside the system do not even perceive. In a way I'd be tempted to say they don't realize how lucky they are. So let me conclude my post with a few pictures.

Office Breakfast

Foosball table

Hackathon trophy

No comments:

Post a Comment